Justin Bieber, Travis Scott, Halsey And Camila Cabello: 5 Major Moves On This Week’s U.K. Singles Chart - Forbes

Justin Bieber, Travis Scott, Halsey And Camila Cabello: 5 Major Moves On This Week’s U.K. Singles Chart - Forbes


Justin Bieber, Travis Scott, Halsey And Camila Cabello: 5 Major Moves On This Week’s U.K. Singles Chart - Forbes

Posted: 16 Oct 2019 10:10 AM PDT

After a tight race between one of the biggest hits to come out of Australia in years and the latest from one of the most successful rappers on the planet, a champion and a runner-up have been named on the U.K. singles ranking. Thankfully, both are winners in this scenario, and behind them, several other well-known figures land new hits on the chart...though some don't debut as high as they may have been expected to.

Here's a look at five of the most important moves on this week's U.K. singles chart.

No. 2 - Travis Scott - "Highest in the Room"

Rapper Travis Scott lands at No. 2 in the U.K. this week with his new single "Highest in the Room," but sadly, he wasn't able to topple Tones and I's "Dance Monkey," which seems like it's going to end up being a massive smash in the country. The hip-hop behemoth's latest now marks his best placement on the tally and just his second top 10.

No. 19 - Dan + Shay - "10,000 Hours (ft. Justin Bieber)" 

Country music doesn't perform as well on the singles chart in the U.K. as it does in the U.S., but clearly that trend is bucked when Justin Bieber is involved. The Canadian pop superstar partnered with country duo Dan + Shay for their new cut "10,000 Hours," which will likely serve as the lead single from their upcoming album. The track, which was released just a week ago, debuts on the songs ranking at No. 19, becoming an instant hit for all involved. 

Dan + Shay reach the U.K. singles chart for the first time, while Bieber collects his forty-third top 40 hit (and his twenty-third top 20) in the country.

No. 38 - Halsey - "Graveyard"

The most recent single released from Halsey's upcoming third album Manic (expected in early 2020), "Graveyard" is growing in stature, and this week it lifts into the top 40 for the first time. The track is the American pop singer's eighth such hit in the U.K.

No. 51 - Niall Horan - "Nice to Meet Ya"

The former One Direction member scored a number of hits with his debut solo full-length Flicker, which was released in 2017 and which produced the smashes "This Town," "Slow Hands" and "Too Much to Ask," all of which broke into the top 40 (with the first two landing inside the top 10). "Nice to Meet Ya" kicks off at No. 51, a fair start for a brand new tune, though hopefully this is just the beginning. The track appears to be the first single from Horan's upcoming sophomore album, which hasn't been announced yet.

No. 85 - Camila Cabello - "Cry for Me"

Camila Cabello has been on a streak for the past month or so, releasing new music left and right (which may or may not be a good thing). This week, her song "Cry for Me" debuts at No. 85 in the U.K., and next frame, she'll likely land another semi-hit with "Easy," which was released just a few days ago. The cut is set to be featured on her upcoming second album Romance, and it is now the third track from the project to chart.

At the same time "Cry for Me" debuts, fellow recent single "Liar" jumps to a new high point of No. 27.

Olentangy Libertys girls doubles champs chase singles tennis title - The Columbus Dispatch

Posted: 17 Oct 2019 02:30 AM PDT

About a week before the seeding draw for the girls sectional tennis tournament, Olentangy Liberty teammates Maddie Atway and Dani Schoenly sat down with coach Will Thieman to discuss their postseason plans.

The juniors had worked well together in teaming to win Division I state doubles titles the past two seasons.

Schoenly was a bit surprised, then, to learn that Atway wished to forgo a potential three-peat and pursue singles in the tournament. Schoenly subsequently did the same.

"I would assume Maddie was just looking for a new challenge, and that's fine," Schoenly said. "I personally like doubles better because of the whole team aspect and all, but it's OK. It will be a little different playing singles at the state, but we all play singles year-round, anyway."

Atway could not be reached for comment. Thieman said he wasn't privy to details regarding the decision.

"I wouldn't say I was surprised," he said. "I think they figure they've won it a couple times so it's time to try something new. I think they both can make runs if they play well."

If both win two state tournament matches Friday at Lindner Family Tennis Center in Mason, Atway (16-2) and Schoenly (18-5) could meet in a semifinal. Atway beat Schoenly in a sectional final.

A three-time district champion, Pickerington North senior Cassie Alcala returns in hopes of avenging a disappointing first-round ouster in 2018. She was state runner-up as a sophomore.

"I've put that behind me, hopefully," Alcala said. "I believe my game has progressed a lot each year and I feel like I'm playing my best tennis right now."

Alcala (25-1) beat Atway in the district final, avenging her only defeat this season.

In doubles, seniors Catherine Wang and Reagan Resor of Dublin Jerome hope to build on their district title. Wang made the quarterfinals in singles last year.

After breezing to a second straight district title, Columbus Academy junior Sydni Ratliff enters the Division II singles draw unbeaten yet again.

In 2017 and '18, she advanced to the championship match only to lose to Nicole Gillinov of Shaker Heights Hathaway Brown. Gillinov is trying to reach her fourth straight final.

"I'm really excited to go back and see what I can do," Ratliff said. "I've incorporated more strength conditioning and lot more footwork into my game with the idea of coming forward more. I've learned a lot about my game and myself the past two years at state.

"I know Gillinov is really good, but there are other really good players on the bracket as well. I like to take things one point, one game, one match at a time. My ultimate goal, though, is to win the state."

In doubles, sophomore Alexis Burkhalter and freshman Katie Zerbi of Wellington won the district title with a three-set win over Worthington Christian sisters Abby and Meghan Mayotte.

sblackledge@dispatch.com

@BlackiePreps

Singles group to gather Tuesday - Fremont Tribune

Posted: 16 Oct 2019 05:30 PM PDT

Supportive Singles, a group for men and women, will meet at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at Irv's Deli, 355 N. Main St., in Fremont.

For more information, call 402-660-8474.

Unseeded Peck one of 3 South players to reach D4 singles semifinals | News, Sports, Jobs - Williamsport Sun-Gazette

Posted: 14 Oct 2019 09:06 PM PDT

BRETT R. CROSSLEY/Sun-Gazette Correspondent South Williamsport's Lauren Peck hits a return shot during a match at the District 4 Singles Championships in Williamsport on Monday. Peck was one of three Mounties to reach the semifinals.

It was no surprise to see South Williamsport's Olivia Dorner and Lily Summerson reach the District 4 tennis semifinals Monday. Dorner is the tournament's top seed and Summerson was seeded sixth.

But Mounties teammate Lauren Peck, well even she couldn't believe she had joined her teammates in the semifinals. That's exactly where she is, though, after upsetting a pair of seeded players to reach the district singles semifinals.

South Williamsport made up 75% of the remaining players after the first day of the tournament Monday. Only Loyalsock's Katie Savidge, a two-time District 4 runner-up and former state fourth-place finisher, was able to crash the South Williamsport semifinal party. The tournament's No. 2 seed, Savidge won a pair of matches in straight sets to reach the semifinals.

"I never expected this since I was No. 3 singles player," Peck said. "I feel so proud of myself and I feel like all my hard work has paid off."

Peck was one of only two unseeded players to reach the quarterfinals of the tournament, joining Bloomsburg's Emily Keyser. But it didn't stop her from taking out some of the district's best players.

She opened with a 6-0, 6-0, win over St. John Neumann's Maria Helminiak before defeating fourth-seeded Lydia Barbour of Montoursville, 6-4, 7-6. Peck's toughest match came in the quarterfinals where she needed three sets to best fifth-seeded Melina Vuocolo of Loyalsock, 6-4, 4-6, 7-5.

South Williamsport is the first school in District 4 history to have three players reach the singles tournament semifinals.

"Each person I played had a different style and I had to adjust," Peck said. "It was really hard to figure out to begin with, but it came down to just trying to get one more ball than they did. I was super tired, especially after playing so many hours. My arms and my legs hurt. I was constantly trying to get every single ball back."

Dorner, a returning state third-place finisher, has dropped just one game all year. The sophomore continued that dominance Monday, winning 6-0, 6-0, in both matches to reach the semifinals where she'll face Peck.

"It feels really good. I'm playing really well right now," Dorner said. "Pretty much everything has been working. All the work we've put in is starting to pay off."

Savidge is the only player this season to win a game against Dorner, and she opened with a 6-0, 6-0, win over Mifflinburg's Abby Underhill, who defeated Lewisburg's Hannah Castellan in the opening round of the tournament.

"I was getting a lot of my backhand corner shots in like I used to in my freshman year," Savidge said. "I was just getting a lot more of those in. I was just getting my racket lower so I could get more spin on it, because I have a habit of hitting them out. That seemed to work for me."

Savidge cruised by Underhill as her other strongs shot were falling as well. She moved by Underhill to setup a match with Keyser, who knocked off Montgomery's Saige Whipple in the opening round.

"I was really nervous going into the first match," Savidge said. "After I got that one, I felt more confident going into the second one. I just wanted to hit better and get more serves in."

Savidge won, 6-0, 6-0, over Keyser.

Summerson faced a difficult draw as the tournament's sixth seed. She took on Selinsgrove's Dasiy Ettinger in the second round. Ettinger won four games in the first set and another two in the second set, but just couldn't keep up with Summerson, who advanced to play No. 3 Hannah Seebold out of Milton.

Seebold reached the quarterfinals with a 6-0, 6-3, win over Central Columbia No. 1 singles player Tessa Gill.

"It felt really good to pull that one off," Seebold said of the win. "It was a lot tougher than when I played her during the regular season. She definitely improved a lot for districts. She's just such a sweet girl in general. I wouldn't have wanted to play anyone else."

Seebold won the opening set against Summerson, but just couldn't contain South Williamsport's No. 2 singles player. Summerson appeared to get stronger as the match progressed and won the final two sets to take the match, 2-6, 6-2, 6-3. Summerson improved on last year's result where she fell in the quarterfinals.

"I expected my third-round match to be a tough one," Seebold said. "Lily (Summerson) is a really smart girl. That's just the way it goes."

District 4 SINGLES Championship Results

First Round

(1) Olivia Dorner (South Williamsport) bye; Dana Lee (Bloomsburg) defeated Haley Seebold (Milton), 6-0 6-2; Hannah Ryck (Towanda) defeated Faith Milhalick (Muncy), 6-3 6-2; No. 8 Carlee Pepper (Hughesville) defeated Marianna Arnabar (Danville), 6-2 6-1; No. 5 Melina Vuocolo (Loyalsock) bye; Emma Kelchner (Central Columbia) defeated Brooke Bartlow (Montgomery), 7-6 6-3; Lauren Peck (South Williamsport) defeated Maria Helminiak (St. John Neumann), 6-0 6-0; No. 4 Lydia Barbour (Montoursville) bye; No. 3 Hannah Seebold (Milton) bye; Tessa Gill (Central Columbia) defeated Daina Dawes (North Penn/Liberty), 6-0 6-0; Daisy Ettinger (Selinsgrove) defeated Melanie Minnier (Shikellamy), 6-2 6-1; No. 6 Lily Summerson (South Williamsport) bye; Emily Keyser (Bloomsburg) defeated No. 7 Saige Whipple (Montgomery), 7-5 6-0; Megan Wattles (Cowanesque Valley) defeated Abigail Colton (Wellsboro), 6-2 6-0; Abby Underhill (Mifflinburg) defeated Hannah Castellan (Lewisburg), 6-1 6-1; No. 2 Kaitlyn Savidge (Loyalsock) bye.

Second Round

No. 1 Dorner (SW) defeated Lee (Bloom), 6-0 6-0; No. 8 Pepper (HUGH) defeated Ryck (TOW), 6-2 6-4; No. 5 Vuocolo (LOY) defeated Kelchner (CC), 7-5 6-1; Peck (SW) defeated No. 4 Barbour (MTV), 6-4 7-6; No. 3 Seebold (Milton) defeated Gill (CC), 6-0 6-3; No. 6 Summerson (SW) defeated Ettinger (SEL), 6-4 6-2; Keyser (BLOOM) defeated Wattles (CV), 6-0 6-1; Savidge (LOY) defeated Underhill (MIFF), 6-0 6-0.

Quarterfinals

No. 1 Dorner (SW) defeated No. 8 Pepper (HUGH), 6-0 6-0; No. 6 Summerson (SW) defeated No. 3 Seebold (MIL), 2-6 6-2 6-3; No. 2 Savidge (LOY) defeated Keyser (BLOOM), 6-0 6-0; Peck (SW) defeated Vuocolo (LOY), 6-4 4-6 7-5.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Valentine's Day decorating kits with Bella Bakery cookies - Napa Valley Register

Or So it Seems … My Dinner with Bella Andre – anewscafe.com - A News Cafe

Screen Media Picks Up Int'l Rights To 'Skyline Radial', Foresight Unlimited Launching Project In Cannes - AOL